Friday night and time for my Week 2 recap. This week I:
- Addressed long distance branching issues that surfaced at the tail end of last week
- Wrote code to keep player’s car within horizontal boundaries of the board (i.e., on the “road”)
- Made road lines double width (so they appear white instead of purple)1
- Generated improved shape for gas can (target)
- Generated (MUCH) improved shape for player’s car
Here’s an updated screenshot of the game board:
I have become very well-versed in the inner workings of the Applesoft shape table routines, though now that I am working on animating the individual graphical elements, I am going to have to discard most, if not all, of these shapes and switch to programmatically turning on/off individual bytes on the hi-res page itself. The silver lining of this being that it may render moot the issues I have at present with disproportionately sized objects (the player’s car and target object are huge compared to the obstacle object and the overall road).
I continue to make forward progress, though due to a few time-consuming snags I hit this week, I’ve been forced to push several tasks to next week.
- You’ll see, in the screenshot below, however, that there is a portion of the left line that renders green; I’ll have to iron that out. ↩